Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Zion or BUST!!

I had an amazing weekend. I was able to accomplish one of the many things on my list of "things to do before 40". I have always had a dream to bike across the United States. Well, I didn't bike across the U.S. but I did go for a 100 mile bike ride!!!! It was wonderful and it made me think I was a little "crazy" to think biking across the U.S. would be "fun". I made it the 100 miles and actually felt really good, considering the circumstances!
I left my little house on Friday afternoon and headed for St. George. I had the chance to stay with an old neighbor(I don't mean old in age either). She was so great to let us crash her cute house and even go out to eat with us. I had the best time visiting and catching up.
Then Saturday morning it was bike time!! We started in St. George and headed out to Zion's National Park. It was a beautiful ride but I was so focused on the road half the scenery was missed. It was an uneventful ride with no flats or crashes. I felt great until just prior to the turn around point when my neck was so tight I thought I was going to DIE!! I was able to re-focus and made it back to St. George. I think the last 5 miles were the longest of my life but I did it!!
The day of the race I swore I would never do this again but today I'm ready to sign up for the next one!! So I guess overall it was a great experience.
I had a couple of friends on the ride and there was a group that came from Northern Utah that we rode with.
Me, my old neighbor and riding buddy

Pre-race
It was a chilly morning but warmed up quickly.
Outside Zions.
Only 40 miles to go.

Me and my other riding buddy.

Post race

WE DID IT!!!

3 comments:

  1. you are my hero!! Have I told you that lately? Seriously! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ROCK!!! Lets ride Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Heidi! You rock my world.

    ReplyDelete