Saturday, July 18, 2009

Some things never change

I was at a BBQ with Grandma this week. I was taking pictures and decided to get one of Grandma. I pointed the camera at her and she lifted up her hands so I couldn't take the picture. Then we had the following conversation..

G: I look terrible.

Me: No you don't Grandma!

G: I have a terrible smile, it doesn't look natural.

Me: (Did I just hear that right, after 92 years you are still worried about your smile. I thought a person stopped caring at 60.) Grandma! You are 92, I think you look great! Plus, nobody else cares what your smile looks like except you.

G: You mean after 93 years?? (She turns 93 in a month)

After the conversation, I decided I had to start being happy with how I look right now. Time doesn't change how I feel about myself, only I change that. I am always looking to be a little bit skinnier, a little bit stronger but every year I look back and wish I would have been happy with how "skinny" or "strong" I was the year before.

If only I could have appreciated my body when I was 25, but of course I didn't. So today, I will be happy with my 35 year old body because in 10 years I will wish I would have put on the string bikini and ran down the street in it. OK, maybe I will NEVER wish that but you get my point! Be happy with what you have right now or never be happy!!

Here's to us Grandma!!

2 comments:

  1. you definitely have reason to be happy with yourself right now! if i even look HALF as fantastic as you when i'm 35, you bet i'll be running down the street in a bikini!! maybe i'll call ya... we'll run together. :)
    you're beautiful. truly.

    ReplyDelete