Monday, July 27, 2009

Bookworms ~

We just got back from the library. It was a bittersweet event. I knew I had a late fee, I decided to pay it before we checked out our books. I knew it was going to be a large sum, like $9.00 large. I was prepared to pay the price, the kids wanted books, what else does a mom do, right??? I exchange pleasantries with the chic at the check-out desk, give her my card and then she proceeds to tell me I owe $22.00!!! I almost had a heart attack right there at the check-out desk. I wanted to be soooooooo angry but I couldn't. I was so embarrassed for myself, who gets a $22.00 late fee at the library!!! I mean serious, you would almost think I didn't know how to read when the books were due back.

Of course, I did not have the cash to cover that "little" fee. I had to go home and get my checkbook before the kids could get any books. Yeah, I'm pretty much the absent mom. DOH!!

As soon as we got home, I realized something else. After 10 years of sitting down and reading to my kids, I am no longer needed in this department. Mr T can officially read on his own and asking me to read does not even cross his mind these days. Gone are the days of reading books and falling asleep on the couch.

Maybe I am getting old, oh wait, they're the ones getting old, not me!!

2 comments:

  1. I get late fees at the library all the time! Usually around the 30 cent range, but still. I almost had you beat in the fine department - we owed the library $28 for a lost DVD. Luckily, we found it and was only charged a month of late fees which came out to about $3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just buy books because I know I'd use that much on late fees! Now you can read your own books!

    ReplyDelete