Wednesday, June 17, 2009

GREECE Part 1

I hate to post too many pictures so Iwill try and keep it to a minimum. I have over 8oo so this will be hard.
We ferried between a couple of the Ionian islands which is on the west side of Greece. These islands are very green compared to the Cyclades(Santorini, Mykonos etc.) which have zero vegetation.

Messaliani Lake
This is an underground lake. The water is crystal clear. Amazing blue color.
The town of Agia Efthimia.
Our hotel is about dead center of this picture. It was amazing!
The water in Greece is so blue I never got over it.
Perfect for snorkeling.
Myrtou Bay.
I had my first experience with topless beach goers at Myrtou Bay. I was surprised to see Moms going topless with youth aged children but it prepared me for later when there were completely nude people just walking around. I guess you could say we Americans look at the body differently than the rest of the world. It was really interesting.

This beach is not sand as most beaches in Greece are not sand. Instead it is made up of white pebbles, all different sizes. The salt water in Greece is so salty when you get out of the water you are covered in white.
Here we are getting ready to investigate and swim around these rocks. It took us a lot of time to get the nerve to actually start swimming. It took one question, "What's that dark thing?". We all took off swimming back to the shore so fast and then we laughed our heads off. The water is so clear that it's like you can almost see what is lurking but not quite. We eventually made it around with no "shark attacks".

Lefkada-another island.
We sea kayaked and snorkeled to several spots on this island, this is just one of them. I know I've already said this BUT the water was crystal clear. I could not believe the snorkeling. It was so much better than any other snorkeling I've done. I promise I won't mention the water again!

Porto Katziki-another wonderful beach.
This is at the top before we hiked down to enjoy the water.

The waterfalls on Lefkada. It was a great hike there, extremely green.

(If you want more pictures of it just let me know, I have plenty!! haha) To be Continued.....

4 comments:

  1. the water is amazing! so beautiful! Can't wait for more pictures. We come in four days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a great time! I love the photos. I want to hear more about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete