Thursday, December 10, 2009

Piano Time

December 2009 Piano Recital
December 2008 Piano Recital
Tonight was an interesting night. I listened to my "beginner" children play the piano and so badly wanted them to be better. Now, don't get me wrong, they both did a great job tonight. I was extremely proud. But you know, they were still, "beginners". As I listened to the older student I so badly wanted my children to be at that stage already.

After the recital, I was talking with the mom of our piano teacher. My jaw dropped to the ground as we discussed "Miss Michelle's" piano routine when she was younger. I have my children practice around 15-20 minutes each day and sometimes we miss a day or two. Well, "Miss Michelle" would practice 1-2 HOURS!!!! per day. As she got older, memorized 35 pages of music. Can you imagine??? I was in awe of this mother who stuck with it.

It was a funny moment in time for me. I always feel like I am such a mean mom when I enforce certain rules or have expectations that seem unreasonable to my children. Every time I have my children play the piano rather than do something "fun", somehow I feel like I'm cheating them. They are sure to let me know how I am ruining their young lives. But tonight as I watched the amazing Miss Michelle play the piano I realized it was not without a major price. Everything we do in life comes with a price. If we want to be amazing then we have to really work at it. I was so grateful for the the moments I had to talk with Miss Michelle's mom and remind myself that part of my job is to push my children, to be mean. I can't expect them to push themselves. What child is going to choose practicing the piano over playing with a friend or watching TV, not too many.

As I watched the mother-daughter interaction I didn't see any anger between the two because "Mom didn't let me play with my friends when I was a kid". Let me tell you what I did see. A mother who was extremely proud of her daughter and a daughter who was full of confidence. I will tell you what, I don't care how many hours you spend playing with friends or watching TV, you will never get those results.

Tonight was a success. I left the recital extremely proud of how my children performed and I was reminded not to waste the days away doing nothing or feeling guilty because I'm too hard on my children, they will appreciate it later. Plus, I could remind them about practicing for 2 HOURS!!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. i love your kids. you're doing a fantastic job with them. truly. i'd be lying if i said it was all peachy while going through the hours and hours of practice... i definitely had my moments when i hated it and hated everyone who made me practice. but it's all worth it in the end, and i guess that's all that matters.
    they did fantastic at the recital. i'm excited to see how much further they are for the next one...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. great thoughts! you are a fabulous mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog!! SO Sad I need to get on your blog to see YOU!! COme and run with us. We ran up SUNCREST 2 saturdays ago and it was a blast! We are going to do it again..so come. I miss our runnin chats :) YOu are the BEST mom ever...you inspire me. Glad to see you are still blogging. Mike has taken over our blog!

    ReplyDelete